Letters are being mailed this week to residents in the Northview area of Manhattan who may be affected if flooding occurs on the Big Blue River. Tuttle Creek Lake is currently at the third highest level since the dam was built.
Manhattan City officials say residents should be prepared in case a large release from Tuttle Creek Lake into the Big Blue River makes evacuation necessary.
A floodplain map is available at www.cityofmhk.com/floodmap. Residents living in areas highlighted in red and yellow should begin making preparations now. The situation is serious but Manhattan is NOT in an emergency at this point.
To prepare for possible flooding:
- Sign up for the Riley County Emergency Alerts at www.rileycountyks.gov to receive notices by phone, email, and/or text message.
- Make a plan to evacuate. Decide what items are essential to bring with you if you are away from your home for days or weeks such as: picture ID, prescription medications, formula, pets and pet food, important documents, clothing, irreplaceable items, and electronics.
- Decide where you will go if you are told to evacuate. Shelters will be available but flooding could last for a long period. If you have relatives or friends outside the floodplain, you will likely be more comfortable staying with them instead of at a shelter.
- Talk with your neighbors. If evacuation becomes necessary, some of them may need help.
- It may not be too late to get flood insurance for your property and belongings. Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect. Contact your insurance agent to find out more.
If major flooding happens, public utilities across the City could also be impacted. Electricity will be turned off immediately in inundated areas and will be turned back on when conditions are safe. The water supply in Manhattan will be reduced. Residents will be advised to stop all irrigation and conserve water.
To learn more, please attend the public meeting with the US Army Corps of Engineers on Wednesday, May 22 from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. at Manhattan Fire Station Headquarters located at 2000 Denison Ave in the first floor meeting hall.