SEDGWICK COUNTY— Fire officials have ruled a fatal Kansas house fire as accidental.
Just after 6p.m. Friday, crews responded to a home in the 3100 Block of North Woodland in Wichita, according to Lt. Jose Ocadiz.
The residence was a detached garage converted into a single room apartment. First responders found the victim identified as 72-year-old Charles E. Wilson, near the front door, according to Ocadiz.
The origin of the fire was in a recliner chair and caused due to the victim smoking while on oxygen.
Authorities released no additional details.
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — Emergency officials say one person has died in a house fire in north Wichita.
The fire was reported around 6:15 p.m. Friday. Firefighters say they saw no smoke or flames coming from the home when they arrived, but encountered thick smoke upon entering the house.
Fire Chief Tammy Snow says the victim was found on the floor and removed from the house. The man was not breathing and did not have a pulse when rescued and was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 7 p.m.
Authorities had not released the victim’s name by midday Saturday.